Friday, August 20, 2010

Top 10 Essential Pantry Ingredients


If you are new to baking bread, it may be helpful to know what the 'essential' pantry ingredients are.  These are what I consider to be the ingredients that either cannot be dispensed with, or are just so downright tasty that I keep them close at hand.  Consider adding these to your shopping list if you are headed to the store this weekend:

1. Unbleached White Bread Flour
2. Whole Wheat Flour
3. Active Dry Yeast
4. Honey
5. Oil (any kind, but Canola if I only had one)
6. Salt
7. Rye Flour (good for making starters)
8. Granulated Sugar
9. Cinnamon (cinnamon-swirl bread = yummy!)
10. Corn Meal (for the bottom of rustic-type loaves)

Of course, I've ended up accumulating a lot of other fun ingredients too!  Any type of flour, seed, nut, sweetener, oil, or grain can be used in bread-making. (Warning: If you acquire very many of these items, you may have to also invest in some organizational tupperware!)

In coming posts, I hope to address the properties of some of these ingredients more specifically.  In the mean time, remember that experimenting is a great way to learn!

2 comments:

  1. May I just say I am disgusted by how organized your cabinet is? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! But keep in mind that if it looked that good all of the time, I wouldn't have felt the need to document it with a photo! ;)

    ReplyDelete