Monday, November 8, 2010

Bread for Butter


One of my labmates has a fancy-schmancy Sam's Club membership.  Recently, I was privileged to have him pick me up a ginormous box of individual servings of butter.  (See my recent post about butter here.)  I offered him some cash in return, but he indicated that he would rather have a loaf of rye bread.  Of course, I was crushed.  And he had to twist my arm.  Really hard.

He reported back to me later that this makes a great base for grilled cheese, loaded with several kinds of meat in addition to the usual cheddar.
Dark Rye Bread

2 Tbsp. oil
2 Tbsp. molasses
2 Tbsp. honey
1 1/2 Tbsp. instant coffee
1 Tbsp. baking cocoa
1 c. rye flour
2 t. yeast
1 1/2 t. salt
2 Tbsp. powdered milk
1 Tbsp. caraway seeds (optional)
3 c. white bread flour

Mix together all ingredients except white flour.  Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.  Gradually add the white flour to form the dough.  Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth.  Let rise for 1 hour, covered.  Gently knead and shape into a loaf.  Place in a greased loaf pan.  Let rise for 1 hour, covered.  Bake at 400 °F for 10 minutes, lower the temperature to  375 °F for 25 minutes, then turn off the oven for the final 10 minutes.  Let cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment